Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Never Never Jar



Today a friend shared on Facebook a "never" she has that was a "never" I actually had until a couple months ago.  It seemed like every turn I made I would run into someone who was having a glorious experience with Bulletproof Coffee or "Butter Coffee." 

I have had a lifelong disgust of butter, mayonnaise or anything oily.  One my favorite
"excellent daddy" stories was about the time he took my 7 year old "boyfriend" and I out to lunch.   Patrick ordered a tuna sandwich. I wanted to be like him but I hated mayonnaise so I ordered a tuna sandwich with no mayonnaise.  I vividly remember the waitress being dumbfounded and a conversation with my dad ensuing with instructions to literally take some tuna out of a can and slap it on some bread.


She came back -- after a good long while, of course -- and my dad saw my eyes swell with tears after I took my first bite.  He looked down and saw we had been served the wrong sandwiches.  I was too embarrassed to say anything in front of Patrick, of course.  I contend that my dad waited waaaaaaaay too long (and remember full on tears silently streaming down my face) to come to our aid, but he always maintained that he immediately remedied the situation for fear we might both projectile vomit on him.

My tolerance for butter and mayo has, of course, grown.  But I still only use scants of each in any culinary situation.  I got a little sick to my stomach even imagining butter coffee in my mouth the first time I heard about it.   But, one day a couple months ago when yet another good friend was extolling the virtues of her new discovery I heard myself speak exactly like a 7 year old about how I would never try it, that I didn't NEED to try it, it wasn't for me, etc. 

Just hearing that petulant voice made me realize I should possibly push through it and try.  The next day I bought the damn butter, and the coconut oil, and soon found myself flicking a pat of butter into a blender.  I had to psych myself up for the first sip, and even the next, but eventually I realized my disgust was all in my head, that really it just tastes like frothy coffee with heavy cream, which makes sense: cream being the precursor to butter, after all!

I actually gave it a shot for a month and came away with the biggest win: that the Brain Octane (highly purified coconut oil by the Bulletproof Coffee company) was my ticket to my happiness. It unequivocally cured the brain fog caused by hormone fluctuations.  Gone!

So I got something great out of pushing against a never.  That being said, I can't tell you how happy I am that I don't have to touch butter every morning.  Ew.

We all have to push through our "nevers" from time to time.  I have heard parents speak of theirs on many occasions.  But I am keenly aware that as I get older I can be even more convincing - to myself and others -- and firmly entrenched in my nevers.  Friends will concur "Good idea, Bridget, you probably should NOT ever do that again." 

So, I've decided to up my elasticity game.  I have some lasting body elasticity issues due to a running injury, so I've recently increased my yoga game.  Now I'm going to up my inner elasticity game too. 

I made a NEVER JAR so I can stay conscious of how often I create hard edges and build walls with my nevers.  Every time I come against a never, I'll write it down and throw it in the jar.  I will try to bust through one every once in a while because it does appear that every time I do bust through a never (never run a marathon, never buy a house without a second income, never try Bullet Coffee, etc.) something pretty amazing comes out of the mix.

I will confess that one of things in my jar is never dating a Virgo again.  It didn't turn out splendidly all 4 times I've done it and I'm pretty fricking firmly entrenched (aka Aries bullheaded entrenched) in this never.  Watch me meet another charming Virgo in the near future just to test my never resilience.  I shall pray for some heart elasticity if that occurs!

No comments:

Post a Comment