Thursday, March 13, 2014

Superhero in Training

It's no mistake that in contemplating the idea of being a Superhero of Love I started training for a marathon.  Last week as I did one of my last long runs before Sunday's LA Marathon I was doing the long loop around my house which allows me a steep uphill in the first third of the run and an equally steep downhill on my way home.  That final descent is nothing short of exhilerating when I am loose and feeling good.  

As I did it last week I felt like I was flying and started thinking about Muybridge's study of whether all four hooves of a horse were in the air at once.  I started contemplating the percentage of time both my feet were in the air.  As I came down the hill it felt like they were mostly in the air. Of course they weren't but feeling like a superhero is just as good as being a superhero.

The LA Marathon sends you a short video of your crossing the finish line.  As I jogged over it (and past it, by the way, for no really good reason other than I think I thought it would make up for the times I had stopped to walk toward the end) the event M.C. screamed over the loud speaker "Superheroooooooooooooooo!"  It wasn't for me but it was a mighty cool synchronicity that I didn't catch that day.



On Marathon day my Facebook feed was also filled with images of supeheroes flying through the air from friends cheering me toward the finish.   I hadn't actually thought of marathons as a superhero feat, but now that I'm in touch with my own ability to "fly" and do something I had no clue how to do. I'm declaring this as part of my Superhero in Love training. 

Love and life give us seemingly insurmountable hills and require endurance of the heart, mind and soul, so any practice can make the next challenge a little easier.  Expanded heart and lung capacity for increased breath and love is always a good thing for a superhero.

No comments:

Post a Comment